Caravan Safety Checklist
Before you leave home for a great touring holiday, run through this checklist to ensure you have a safe and pleasant journey.
Offroader have a complete range of RV parts and accessories should your check reveal the need to repair or replace equipment.
Checks before the trip
- Check oil, water, brake fluid, the battery etc.
- Inspect all tyres carefully and remember, when towing heavily loaded trailers your vehicle’s tyre pressures should be increased to the level recommended in the owner’s handbook or on the tyre placard. If in doubt, contact your local tyre dealer.
- Check that your vehicle and trailer’s wheel nuts have been tightened to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Ensure the coupling socket and ball match in size.
- Check that the coupling is correctly and securely fastened.
- Check that the safety chains are correctly connected.
- Check to ensure that the trailer brake and light connections are secure and that all lights work.
- Check that the towing lights, number plates and registration labels of your caravan are clearly visible.
- Disengage any reversing catch fitted to the trailer coupling (as used with over-run brakes).
- Make one or two test stops to check that the brakes are working properly.
- Ensure that your load is properly secured.
- Limit the amount of load in the boot of the tow vehicle.
- Ensure that the rear vision mirrors on the tow vehicle are properly adjusted.
- Ensure that the gas cylinders are properly secured.
- While you are travelling ensure that the gas cylinders are turned off and that the refrigerator door is closed.
- Check that the roll-out awning is stored away and locked in the travel position.
- Remove the jockey wheel from its clamp and store it in the boot of the car or RV, or if it is of the swivel mount variety, lock it in the travelling position.
- Check that the front and rear corner stabilisers are in the up position.
- Ensure that the hand brake of the trailer has been correctly released.
- Check that the roof hatches, windows and stone shields are secure.
- Check that water, sullage and electrical cords has been disconnected and stored away.
- Check that the TV antenna is in the travel position.
Checks during the trip
- Check that the couplings and chains are still securely fastened.
- Check that the brakes and wheel bearings are not overheating, by comparing to your car brakes.
- Check that light connections are still secure and that the lights are working.
- Check that the tyres are still sufficiently inflated.
- Check that the load is still secure.
- Check that the roll out awning is still properly locked in the travel position.